vRo – Active Directory Group Name Dropdown
Produce a list of AD group names in a dropdown for selection on catalog request for vRa. This can be used for vRa or vRo as an External Source on a field in the form.
- vRealize Orchestrator - I am using 7.6
- Active Directory Plugin configured by running "Add Active Directory Server" workflow successfully
- Run " Configure Active Directory plug-in options" workflow and set the default Active Directory Server successfully
The action basically uses the default Active Directory Server to query for groups using a string search using an input called nameStartsWith. This is important to understand as the groups returned will be any name that has that string in the name of the group. This process relies heavily on a developed naming scheme for the AD Groups used.
We want these as inputs to a workflow so we are going to add them as custom fields on the input form in vRo. This process is exactly the same in vRa except you would require a custom property on the blueprint that you can use for the field. Easier to get to this data in vRo.
We are going to add the variable adGroup as an input. Be sure that this is not an array but just a string.
Now we go to the input form and configure the field.
adGroup should show on the form. Click on it so you can access the field editor.
- Change the Display Type to DropDown
- Check Values
- Expand Value Options
- Select External Source as Value Source
- Find the action in the list
- Define the namesStartsWith as a constant to whatever you need (I am using "lab_tower_" in this example)
Now save and run your workflow.
Now you can use this in your workflow as the adGroup variable to make decisions or perform action.