IBM Storwize V7000
Powerful and easy-to-use innovative disk storage systems
Members of the IBM Storwize family, IBM® Storwize® V7000 Unified and IBM Storwize V7000 are virtualized, enterprise-class storage systems that provide the foundation for implementing an effective storage infrastructure and transforming the economics of data storage. Designed to complement virtual server environments, these modular storage systems deliver the flexibility and responsiveness required for changing business needs.
IBM Storwize V7000 Unified and Storwize V7000 provide the latest storage technologies for unlocking the business value of stored data, including virtualization and Real-time Compression. In addition, the systems include a powerful new hardware platform that can support the massive volumes of data created by today’s demanding cloud and analytics applications. They are designed to deliver outstanding efficiency, ease of use and dependability for organizations of all sizes.
Data is the new currency of business, the most critical asset of the modern organization. In fact, enterprises that can gain business insights from their data are twice as likely to outperform their competitors; yet, 72 percent of them have not started or are only planning big-data activities. In addition, organizations often spend too much money and time managing where their data is stored. The average firm purchases 24 percent more storage every year, but uses less than half of the capacity it already has.
The simple fact is that infrastructure matters. The right infrastructure allows organizations to shift spending and invest in projects that improve business results. The infrastructure must ensure the most value from data at the least cost with the least effort and the greatest flexibility.
IBM® Storwize® V7000 Unified and IBM Storwize V7000 are virtualized, enterprise-class storage systems that provide the foundation for implementing an effective storage infrastructure and transforming the economics of data storage. Designed to complement virtual server environments, these modular storage systems deliver the flexibility and responsiveness required for changing business needs.
- Hardware Accelerated Real-time Compression: Reduce storage acquisition costs up to half by using up to 80% less disk and flash capacity
- File support: Consolidates block and file storage in a system for simplicity and greater efficiency (Storwize V7000 Unified only)
- Active Cloud Engine: Enables highly-efficient policy-based management of files to reduce costs through use of tiered storage (Storwize V7000 Unified only)
- Clustered systems: Ability for block systems to both scale up and out for performance and capacit
- Deploy with confidence: Available IBM performance and capacity guarantees help you focus on your business, not your storage
- Automated storage tiering with IBM Easy Tier: Advanced technology for automatically migrating data between storage tiers based on real-time usage analysis patterns
- IP replication: Reduces remote mirroring costs with innovative network optimization
- New generation GUI: Easy-to-use data management designed with a graphical user interface and point-and-click system management capabilities
- Meet changing business needs with virtualized, enterprise-class, flash-optimized modular storage
- Transform the economics of data storage with hardware-accelerated data compression
- Leverage integrated support for file and block data to consolidate workloads
- Optimize performance with fully automated storage tiering
- Improve network utilization for remote mirroring with innovative replication technology
- Deploy storage quickly with easy-to-use management tools and built-in support for leading software platforms
- Easy-to-use data management designed with a graphical user interface and point-and-click system management capabilities
- Metro Mirror and Global Mirror for replicating data synchronously or asynchronously between systems for backup efficiency
- Optimized for both internal flash drives and external IBM FlashSystem™ storage
- RAID 0, 1, 5, 6 and 10
Chris K's Quick Tip
If you want to use SSDs and Easy Tier with the V7000, the general best practices recommendation is to put the SSDs in the control unit, so as to maximize the overall impact of the SSDs. Fortunately, if SSDs need to be moved around later, the non-disruptively migration function included with every V7000 makes this pretty simple to pull off without an outage.